Thursday, June 18, 2020

7 Day Trading Card Challenge: Day Six

Today’s Challenge: Favorite non-sports card in my collection

Today’s card selection was the easiest selection for me during this challenge.  The reason behind that is simple. I own very, very few non-sports cards. Almost none. 

Around 2013, I binge watched a ton of Parks and Recreation on Netflix. I gave it a shot because I had heard that it was created by the same people that created The Office. As an Office fan, I was excited to hear that I could consume more of the same humor and absurdity. I ended up loving Parks and Rec – so much so that I’d probably put it above The Office if I were forced to rank them. Hopefully no one forces me to do that! It would be close.  

Around the same time I was watching Parks and Rec, I was super into sampling hobby boxes. Press Pass had recently released a Parks and Rec product and it was really affordable at only $55.  I grabbed a box and it was one of the most fun box breaks I’ve ever done. [Side note – I just cheked Ebay and a sealed box would run you $400+ now, go figure.]

The box promised two autographs and one relic card. The autographs in my box were from two “b-listers,” who were recurring characters on the show but not every-episode actors. The box also promised a relic card, and I was much more fortunate there:


Yeah, this card is awesome. I’ve been a fan of Rob Lowe since The Outsiders. His introduction to Parks and Rec in Season 3 was an excellent shot-in-the-arm for the show and he quickly became one of my favorite characters. 

The best part of the card is on the back:


Check it out! A detailed description of exactly WHEN this square inch of fabric made it’s debut on the big screen! Season 3, Episode 16. Even better, it includes an image of the full suit coat before it was chopped to pieces. I guess it technically doesn’t say that Rob Lowe wore this jacket on the screen – but I’ve got to believe he did. Press Pass sure went through a lot of work to highlight the origin of the swatch.  Sports cards manufacturers could certainly take a page from this book.

Thanks for reading!

Edit: In an effort to space out my posts, I usually write my posts several days before publishing them. Writing about the Parks and Rec cards has me feeling nostalgic about my only non-sports card purchase. Since the time I wrote the post above, I purchased a hobby box of Topps 2018 Stranger Things cards to try out another non-sports product. Who knew this trading card challenge could be so inspiring. More to come on that! 

2 comments:

  1. Ooh! I used to collect these things, but ended up getting rid of all of my cards several years ago. I would absolutely LOVE an Office set.

    ReplyDelete