Sunday, February 9, 2020

Additions to the Pirates Gold Room

I often struggle to understand my identity as a collector. Wether its on the blogs or on Twitter, I feel like I often come across collectors who are very specific and intentional with their collections. 

Sure, I collect the Pirates. Yes, there are certain players that I prefer over others. Yes, there are cards I stay away from and cards that I'm drawn towards.

At the end of the day, I'm not too specific. I don't have a favorite player. I rarely build sets. 

However! If there's one thing that I love above all else, it's Pirates gold refractors. I've been making a point to acquire gold refractors as often as possible. Typically, Topps gold refractors are serial numbered /50. That's a good sweet spot for me. Only 50 copies makes it decently rare - but not impossible to find. Prices can get steep, but I haven't seen anything too outrageous.

Here are some of my recent pickups:


2019 Bowman's Best Mitch Keller Rookie - Gold Refractor #49/50


2019 Bowman Chrome Prospects Ke'Bryan Hayes - Gold Shimmer Refractor #40/50


2017 Bowman Chrome Tyler Glasnow Rookie - Gold Refractor #46/50


2019 Topps Update Bryan Reynolds - Gold Refractor #/50. This is the latest addition to my  Bryan Reynolds rainbow. I'm only missing Orange #/25 and Red #/5.


I've really enjoyed chasing after these. I feel like it's given me some purpose when it comes to "what to chase," and as we know, the chase is half of the fun. 




8 comments:

  1. Those look great with team colors! I always enjoy NY Giants cards with a touch of blue on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn’t agree more- team color parallels are the way to go!

      Delete
  2. If I were a team collector, this is the sort of collecting project that I'd be all over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s been really fun so far. Punching in “pirates gold refractor” on eBay or COMC and seeing what comes up has been a great pastime...

      Delete
  3. Nice additions! I love color-matching refractors and parallels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pirates love gold and as a Pirates fan I love that you are going for this style of identity collection. I will dig through my pile of non Cutch cards to see what I can send your way to help with this collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian - that’s kind of you to offer. Take your time, you’ve already been beyond generous! I imagine you’ve got some awesome Cutch gold refractors... future post...?

      Delete