Monday, September 16, 2019

2019 Topps Chrome Group Break: Pirates

Last week I joined a group break for the first time in years. While browsing the cardboard blogosphere recently, I ended up on the Cardboard Connection reading a guide about the best group break sites. They mentioned Real Breaks, who is Facebook-exclusive family friendly group. They have an assortment of breaks with a little something for everyone - pick your team, random team, etc. I believe they do mostly case breaks. 

I started by just joining the group and not looking for any specific group breaks. Of course over time I started to get notifications, and one night I found myself checking out a 12-box case break of 2019 Topps Chrome, which will yield 24 autos. The Pirates don't have the greatest autograph checklist in 2019 - so my yield had a low ceiling - but that also meant that the price was right. For $30, I jumped in.

The whole break took about an hour which is a long time to tune in to hope for one or two good cards. You'll need some free time and some patience. If you're feeling social, the chat can certainly help keep it interactive. I should also mention that I received all of my cards within a week of the break! Speedy.

Aside from accumulating about five team sets, I did land three nice cards:


Two Nick Burdi autos. The one on the right is the base auto, but the one on the left is the gold parallel #/50. I'll take it! I guess Burdi shows up a ton in Chrome and sort of saturates the product. The break host was joking about "another dang Nick Burdi card." I'm not complaining.

Burdi carried a lot of hype into the season this year because he can creep into triple digits with his fastball. He won a spot in the bullpen out of spring training and was expected to work his way into meaningful late innings. That was cut short after just 11 appearances when his elbow acted up and he underwent his second Tommy John in three years. He's only 26, so here's to hoping he can come back strong some time next year.


Here's the card that I was most excited about, a Kevin Kramer Gold Wave #/50. There's something about gold parallels that really bode well with the Pirates. Yes, the Pirates colors are often referred to as "Black and Gold." In reality, it's black and yellow, but yellow parallels are generally impossible on the eyes. Gold parallels on the other hand... give me all the gold.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my return. Group breaks will always involve risk, but this one worked out. I'd definitely recommend Real Breaks to those looking for a taste of a break without buying a box.



3 comments:

  1. Nice score, you are correct that the gold parallel is good looking (especially for Pirates cards).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so bummed about Burdi going down so early in the season. I really saw him as the team's set up man of the future (not a big believer of Crick). Hopefully he heels up and can pitch late in the second half next year.

    I am a big believer that the middle infield of 90s sitcom comedies can be our strength next year.
    Have Frazier play 2nd and lead off
    Newman batting second and playing short
    (Saved by the) Bell cleaning up and Kramer being a utility guy restarting the lineup again in the 6,7, or 8 hole.

    That Gold Wave Kramer is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks cool, I might have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete