Saturday, March 21, 2020

Quarantine Cards

"I miss baseball." A phrase that many of us will utter many times over the next several months. I was just starting to get the baseball itch before all the craziness hit. It's going to be a long time before we see America's favorite pastime again. How this affect our collecting habits? Will we collect more? Less? Will we write and blog more? It remains to be seen. I'm going to use my added downtime to try and show off some of my favorite cards and get some trades going.


(L) 2020 Topps Heritage Bryan Reynolds Refractor #/571
(R) 2020 Topps Heritage Bryan Reynolds Black Refractor #/999

Heritage refractors: A very polarizing style of card. The general consensus seems to be more against these cards than for them. If that's the case, I'm in the minority. I'm sucker for refractors and I totally dig these cards. Reynolds broke out over the summer and his first card was printed for 2019 Update - so seeing him printed on cards is novel to me and frankly... I want them all.


2017 Bowman Chrome Josh Bell Refractor #/500

Another small eBay purchase. I was able to grab this for less than $10 shipped. Like Reynolds, JB really broke out last year. It seems people are still sleeping on him a bit, but the guy hit 37 dingers and knocked in 117 runs last year as was selected for his first All-Star game appearance.



2012 Bowman Chrome Josh Bell Gold Refractor #/50

This is card is, for the time being, the crown jewel of my ever-growing "Pirates Gold Room." AKA, my collection of Pirates Gold Refractors. The scan didn't quite do this card justice - but it's gold, and it's shiny, and I love it. I've been looking to get my hands on this card for quite some time. There were a few listings on eBay with pretty outrageous prices. Finally a seller came through a totally undercut his competition (by about half the price) and I was right there to scoop it up. Win/win.


2020 Topps Heritage 2020 Rookie Stars Yordan Alvarez / Aristides Aquino


2019 Donruss Devin Bush Red Press Proof

These two came my way via PWE from Max at Starting Nine. I won't be buying any Heritage packs this year so anything I'll be acquiring will be via single card purchase or trade. I was reading through Max's post about opening ripping Heritage and the Alvarez/Acquino caught my eye. I think both of these guys are for real. I'm pretty sure I'll be watching Aquino terrorize the Bucs for years to come. I had some random team set needs for Max, and we cooked a up a PWE trade quickly. The Bush rookie was a surprise - and an awesome one at that. Thanks Max, this was a pleasure!

Thanks for reading.


7 comments:

  1. Wow @ the JB gold!!! That's a big time card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sir! I’ve been chasing this card for a long time. I know YOU know what that’s like!

      Delete
  2. I've never been a big fan of the Heritage sets, but I do think that those refractors look pretty nifty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon - I’m not too big of a Heritage guy either. But I’m certainly a refractor guy. I love these.

      Delete
  3. These are great cards, especially the Bell gold refractor!


    I will definitely be blogging more during this Corona crisis, but after today I won't be buying/trading for a while. I'll have to get card shopping fix by using challenge credit on COMC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris - looking forward to reading more of your posts. You’ve got me curious. Are you pausing buying and trading out of precaution of spreading germs?

      Delete
    2. Some of the stores I order from have been ordered to close, and much of the trading community has paused sending/receiving cards for a while. It's more out of courtesy to other collectors than my own concern.

      Delete