Thursday, May 29, 2014

My Wax Box


A few weeks ago, I came across a blog post that presented a brilliant idea: Buy packs, and don’t open them. Yep, that’s right. It sounds difficult I know, but it’s actually been one of the best decisions of my collecting career.

(I can’t recall whose blog it was, but if this sounds like your idea: A. Thank you and B. Please drop a comment and take credit!)

So it works like this: If I’m at Target or Walmart shopping for items aside from cards, I hit the card aisle and grab some packs. I approach it with two simple guidelines: Look for bargains, and buy in bulk. If anything decent is discounted, I grab that. If I’m at Target, I usually grab a box of packs from the Fairfield Company, which is basically the only way to “buy in bulk” without using the internet. Here's an example:


When I get home, I take my packs and throw them in a designated box- my Wax Box! My goal is to build up a nice collection of packs, so when I get the urge to rip some retail, I have a variety of packs available to me. If I buy a bunch of packs, I may open one or two immediately and throw the rest in the box.


Above is my accumulation thus far and I hope it continues to grow. Not only is this type of collecting tons of fun, but it eliminates the impulse to run out and buy packs. If I want to open packs, I've got them. It takes a good deal of self control to avoid shredding them all at once, but it really does pay off! 

Now this isn't to say that I don't still run out and buy new products, because I absolutely do. It seems like yesterday that I was eagerly making my way out grab some 2014 Bowman.

I'd love to hear some feedback. Aside from the mystery blogger who prompted me- Anyone else do this? If not, would you consider trying it?

Thanks for reaading!

3 comments:

  1. I don't know who came up with that idea but it is pretty good. A "rainy day" pack box. It is not for everyone though.

    I admit I do have some older unopened packs from way back when. I sometimes would save wax packs to have a sample of the pack. I used to do it more with Non-Sports I'd go on binges to try to build the set and set one or two packs aside to keep in addition to the full set should I complete it. I didn't do it all the time or for all sets, heck some sets I still only have the handful of cards I got from one maybe two packs I bought and opened.

    Anyway back to this idea. I recently got one of those Fairfield bulk packs box (a 20 pack box) from Target. I haven't opened the box yet. It has a 2008 Topps showing, and I can see there are 3 or 4 different brands.

    Hmmm this idea could probably also be used for blog giveaways. Keep a small supply of unopened packs to include as part of the prize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea.

    This is something I have done for quite some time with a little twist though. I keep the packs in a 5 row monster box. Once I fill 2 monster boxes, I have one big pack openinig party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pure genius. I hope this works out! I'd love to try something similar, but my LWM hasn't restocked in 3 months, so there's nothing worth buying. I guess that helps my impulse buys too...

    ReplyDelete