Thursday, August 22, 2019

Collecting the Fantasy Team

Before I start - there are some questions at the end, and I’d love to hear from you.

This year a friend of mine from college invited me to join his fantasy baseball league. It’s my first time playing fantasy baseball in about 5 years, and I have to admit: I’m having a blast. I’m definitely a little rusty, and it took me a little while to get the hang of things. My team is sitting at 7-10-2 and I’ll likely miss the playoffs. The league had a higher buy-in than I’m used to, but I’ll admit, the investment alone has kept me... invested. It’s a 14 category league (7 batter categories, 7 pitcher categories). During the draft, I definitely over-valued relief pitching and under-valued starting pitching. I usually win saves and holds, but I rarely come close in K’s. I usually win steals and runs, but I’m short on HR and RBI, and so on.

I have experienced a completely unforeseen side effect from playing Fantasy Baseball: It gets me interested in random players from around the league because they’re on my team (I bet you’ve never seen a better Jason Vargas fan, at least this month). Not just that, but it makes me want to collect those guys. And I’ve started to do so. In the league, our rosters sit at 24 players total and about five of those spots consistently rotate different waiver pickups, spot starts, etc.

I consider myself to be somewhat of an autograph collector. I am by no means exclusive to autographs but I’m always looking to get my hands on them for an affordable price. I have some superstars on my team of course – Nolan Arenado, Paul Goldschmidt, Zack Grienke – but for the sake of affordability, I’ve focused more on the middle-tier players on my team. When I can’t get an auto for a decent price, the next choice is a serial numbered rookie card – so there’s a mix here.


Tim Anderson, SS, Chicago White Sox – 2013 Bowman Chrome Rookie Refractor Auto

About the dude: This guy has been great this year, and man, he has flown completely under the radar. The White Sox being mediocre hasn’t helped. He missed about a month with an ankle sprain, but in 334 ABs this year, Timmy is hitting a cool .332 with 13 HR, 44 RBI, 14 steals, and has a .503 OBP. Oh, and he’s also insanely fun to watch. I drafted him late as backup/bench player, and his emergence and contribution allowed me trade my second overall pick, Francisco Lindor, for a huge haul. He’s now my every day SS and one of my favorite players in the show.

About the card: One thing that drives me crazy about 2013 Bowman Chrome is that for whatever reason, they didn’t add serial numbers to the auto refractors. I have a real fondness for gold #/# stamps. Either way, this is a beauty. Looks like Tim is about to unleash a 90 mph cross-body throw for a bang-bang play at first.


Jose Berrios, SP, Minnesota Twins – 2013 Bowman Chrome Prospects Blue Refractor /250

About the dude: Similar to Anderson, I would categorize Berrios as “under the radar.” He shouldn’t be. He’s the Twins best pitcher. 10-6, 150 K in 157 IP, 3.37 ERA and 17 Quality Starts. He’s currently hit the roughest patch of his season, giving up 15 ER in his last three outings. That should change tomorrow when he faces the Tigers.

About the card: This is right in my wheelhouse. Chrome, Rookie, /250. Picked up for the price of a hobby pack.

Side note – My desire for a Berrios auto drove me to do one thing that I really don’t love to do, and that’s get in a last-second bidding war on an eBay auction. I think this dude really could be a future Cy Young winner. I want his dang autograph! I was watching a 2013 Bowman Chrome rookie auto of his on eBay, graded 9.5. I ended up winning and…. had instant buyer’s remorse. I listed it on eBay for Buy it Now OBO, and actually sold it a few weeks later for more than I paid. I was thankful to recoup the cost and get a small profit in return, paying for the blue refractor.


Eduardo Escobar, 2B/SS/3B, Arizona Diamondbacks – 2011 Bowman Chrome Prospects Rookie Refractor /799

About the dude: Would you believe me if I told you that this man just crossed over 100 RBI, just two RBI behind NL League leader, Freddie Freeman? It’s true. He’s also slugged 28 homers to go with them. Extremely productive numbers for a guy that gets little-to-no recognition.

About the card: More of my M.O. – Chrome, Rookie, Serial #. Nice little card picked up for a few dollars.

He doesn’t have any autos hanging out there from early in his career, but he has a ton of “buyback” cards popping up from 2019 Archives. They’re reasonably priced, look cool, and come encased and sealed. I don’t know much about these cards. Can anyone shine some light for me? What’s the story with these?


Jonathan Villar, 2B/SS, Baltimore Orioles – 2011 Bowman Chrome Prospects Rookie Refractor /799

About the dude: Not that it matters because they’re a dumpster fire, but Baltimore is probably stoked about this guy’s performance. .278 BA, 17 HR, 28 Steals from a middle infielder… you’ll take that all day. He’s on pace to break his career highs in both HR and RBI while chipping in 30+ swiped bags.

About the card: Cost me a dollar on COMC. 

Three other players that I’d love to add, but are just too dang pricey right now:

Oscar Mercado, OF, Cleveland Indians 

Oscar has enjoyed a small breakout this year – .281 BA, 10 HR, 11 SB in 375 AB. He was a waiver pickup about a month ago when I was in need of steals. Bowman rookie autos of his start at $25… too rich for my blood.

Franmil Reyes, OF, Cleveland Indians

Broke onto the scene this year because of some early power in San Diego and was sent to Cleveland at the deadline. He’s currently sitting at 29 HR, but only 53 RBI. Sounds like a lot of solo shots. His Bowman rookie autos are starting around $15…. I’ll wait.

Domingo German, SP, New York Yankees 

Currently leading the MLB with 16 wins and only three losses – you can thank the Yankees murderous lineup for that. Give him some credit, though. He has struck out 131 in 121 innings with a 4.15 ERA, and is probably the best starter on the Yankees right now. Bowman rookie autos are going for around $50… nope.

Now, I’d love to hear from YOU! Do you play Fantasy Baseball? Have you the past? Has it ever inspired you to collect players you normally don’t?

3 comments:

  1. I play fantasy baseball every year. I have in the past picked up an autograph of some of the guys on my team strictly because they were on my team. If you want a Berrios autograph, I will be giving one away in October for my K Cancer, Save Second Base event. Details will be announced later in September. Keep your eyes open on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome news - I'll be all over that!

      Delete
    2. It's a gorgeous card too. Hopefully you can win it or convince the winner to send it to you.

      Delete