Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Mailday Roundup: A Superfractor, Some Bucs and a Trout

Welcome to this week's mailday roundup!

I usually try to start these posts a little slower and work my way up to the big guys. This week is a little different. Let's start off with a bang.


Chris Archer - 2019 Topps Chrome Sapphire Superfractor #1/1

You are looking at my first-ever Superfractor. It only took me seven years of collecting but I have finally added one to my collection. I've wanted one for a long time and this was the first one that really made sense to purchase. Although I'll probably never open a box of Tops Chrome Sapphire, it's the cousin of Topps Chrome - my favorite set. 

When Archer was traded to the Pirates at the deadline in 2018 it was a really, really big deal. The Pirates had a reputation for protecting prospects and not trading for proven vets. The trade was received very positively by Pirates fans. From our end, we were giving up a bust of a pitcher (Tyler Glasnow) a Single-A Prospect (Shane Baz) and potential MLB starter (Austin Meadows). Two years later, 95% of Pirates fans will tell you they hated the trade back then. They're lying.

I was able to get this at a really reasonable price. Due to extreme underperformance, the value of Archer's cards have absolutely plummeted. I watch his cards pretty closely. Last night an auction for his first Bowman Chrome autograph went for $6.00 and change. For a guy that's made the All-Star twice in the last five years, that's brutal. I haven't lost hope just yet - He's still only 31, he was playing through injury last season and I don't think the now-ousted coaching staff was doing him any favors. 

I hope the best for Archer... but I have my doubts too. Either way, he's a good man who's easy to root for and I'm ecstatic to add this card to my collection.


(L) Josh Bell - 2017 Topps Chrome RC Gold #/50
(R) Josh Bell - 2017 Topps RC Gold #/2017

The Chrome Josh Bell on the left has been on my target list for a very long time. Due to JB's great season last year, it's way over-valued. One finally popped up on eBay at .99 cent auction. I watched it throughout and swooped in at the last minute with a winning bid. I ended up paying about 1/3 of what most BIN sales are asking but what I paid is probably about what it's actually worth. Nothing like a .99 cent auction to prove the true value of a card!

The card on the right came my way via a TCDB PWE swap. The same over-value effect was in play, and I had to send my trade partner a nice Manny Machado rookie as well as a Hunter Pence rookie, both of which I pulled from packs many years ago. I was sad to see them go but they went to a great home and I was able to add another JB rookie to the PC. A gold serial numbered rookie, nonetheless.


(Clockwise)
Tyler Glasnow - 2017 Topps Silver Pack
Tyler Glasnow - 2017 Topps Chrome Refractor 
Cole Tucker - 2019 Topps Update
Josj Bell - 2017 Bowman Chrome

Some more goodies from TCDB trades. The Glasnow silver pack card is super shiny and it looks stunning with the Sunday alternate 1979 throwback jersey.


Bryan Reynolds - 2020 Topps Rainbow Foil


(L) Giancarlo Stanton - 2017 Topps Gold Label Class 2 Blue #/99
(R) Stephen Strasburg Gold Label Class 1 Blue #/150

The three card above came my way via Alex and Chavez Ravining. The Gold Label blue parallels were part of a recent contest in which I was fortunate enough to finish in the prize pool. Alex was also kind enough to throw in the Reynolds rainbow foil card as well as few other Pirates. I'm still chasing down his rookie cards, and now his second year cards are showing up in every set. It will feel overwhelming, but it's more to chase! The rookie cup cards are always cool.


Mike Torut - 2013 Topps Chrome Update

We finish up with a random yet rare non-Pirate. I'm not a Trout collector, but of course I'd love to own some cards of the greatest player of this generation and undoubtedly one of the best ever. I don't own any of his rookie cards, and I've more or less written that off as a possibility. 

His third-year cards are in my all-time favorite set, 2013 Topps Chrome. I'm not entirely sure how the Topps All-Star Rookie Gold Cup works, but it shows up on his 2013 Topps Chrome card making it more valuable. I'm more or less obsessed with the set. So much so that I built a set of the blue parallels #/199 over the course of six years. Through that project, as well as opening several 2013 Topps Chrome hobby boxes, I own several Trout third-year cards. The card above appeared in Update and I didn't own a copy. I grabbed the card above for just $9. It's a great addition to a tiny Trout collection.

Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

  1. Those are some great cards, that Archer in particular is sweet! As a Red Sox fan I was happy when the Rays traded him to the National League. He always seemed to own the Sox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the very late response, but congrats on your 1st Superfractor

    ReplyDelete