Saturday, February 1, 2020

Hobby Box Break: 2008-09 Topps Basketball (Mamba Tribute)

This is my first basketball-related post since the passing of Kobe Bryant, so let me start by expressing my sadness. Like all basketball fans, Kobe meant a lot to me. Kobe was basketball. I grew up with Jordan, then Kobe, and now LeBron. Rest in peace Kobe, Gianna, and the others that lost their lives on Sunday.

Like many collectors, I began to sort through my collection, looking for Kobe cards that to remember him by. It also reminded that there's one Kobe card that has been on my mental wantlist for some time: Kobe Bryant, #24 from 2008-09 Topps Basketball. Prices for this particular card skyrocketed, of course - but I still felt like there was no better time to honor Kobe and try to add this card to my collection. 

I did some research and learned that 2008-09 Topps Hobby boxes are actually somewhat affordable. They contain 36 packs of 10 cards - so the odds were in my favor to pull the exact card I wanted. I jumped on the DaCardWorld and they had just one box in stock, so it seemed meant to be.

There are some really awesome cards in this box - dig in for a minute and enjoy the ride with me.



Upon opening the box, I was greeted with the sticker below. On the back of the sticker, it says to stick it your set once it's complete. That's a cool little touch that definitely became lost in collecting sometime between then and now.


To showcase the base design, I'll use my favorite Knicks pull out of the box. I'm a huge fan of this design, which will look familiar if you collected Topps baseball in 2008. When Topps had the basketball license, they would use the same design for both basketball and baseball flagship. I think the design works a little better for basketball.


Check out the text on the names above. It's hard to see, but the text is gold foil. I pulled about 32 of these, so they fall just about one per pack. Duncan and Carter are two of the best that I pulled. How about the photo of Vince Carter!


Possibly the most prized rookie in the class, Russell Westbrook. 


This could possibly be the greatest LeBron James base card ever printed. I mean, wow. What a beauty. Capturing what is likely the most iconic pregame ritual in sports. I was hoping to pull this card, so I was over the moon to see this show up.


There aren't a ton of inserts in this set which I really like. I'm a big fan of parallels but overloading inserts can be a real turnoff for me. I think these are technically variations, not inserts. I recognize this design as Topps 1958-59 which has shown up recently as a throwback design in Topps baseball products.


I pulled four gold parallels - which, in typical Topps fashion are numbered to the year of the set, so in this case #/2008. They commemorate 51 years of collecting across the top of the picture. These are the better of two of the four gold pulls. 


Each box guarantees one autograph or memorabilia card, and here's my hit. When you're promised either a relic OR an autograph, you can basically bet the house that you're getting a jersey card. I was almost entirely certain that I'd be taking away a Martell Webster jersey patch or something similar. To pull an autograph from a proven vet is a BIG win. Nowadays, Agent Zero is more familiar to me as an outrageous yet hilarious social media personality (if you've haven't checked him out yet, do it), but not long ago he was prolific scorer in the league.


The mojo keeps coming! How about this guy? Kenynon Martin magenta printing plate. 1/1. You never expect to pull something this rare and I'll certainly take it. 

I really liked K-Mart back in his New Jersey Nets days with Jason Kidd, Richard Jefferson, Vince Carter, Kerry Kittles, and so on. I'm not exactly sure what to do with his card aside from stash it away as a really unique piece of my basketball collection.


Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, I came across this guy. A classic "rip" card. I didn't know this set had rip cards until coming across this, so I dove in and did some research. Because this set is over 10 years old there's really not a lot of information out there. I learned that the rip cards are case hits, and I was able to find a couple YouTube videos that show actual rips. From what I can tell, the miniature cards inside are just like an Allen & Ginter mini. It doesn't appear that they're ever autographed or serial numbered, so the play might be keep it unripped. But, what's the fun in that. You might say I'm pretty "torn" on what do with it...


And for the grand finale: The reason I bought the box in the first place. I was lucky to pull this card in my first few packs, so the rest of the box was house money for me.

 Card #24, for number 24. This card... it speaks for itself. This card is about more than just Kobe. The imagery and symbolism is outstanding. 

How's this for symbolism: The year is 2008. In the picture, the basketball represents the best player in the NBA. Kobe is stretching to keep that title from LeBron, and LeBron is reaching for it. It's just out of reach. Someday LeBron might take that ball from Kobe. But not today.

If the perfect sports card exists, this is it.

Mamba forever.

41 comments:

  1. Every time I see you open something, you end up getting a bunch of really neat stuff! I'm starting to think that I should send you a quarter with a SASE, that way you can rub it, or bless it, or something, and then send it back to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mcafee Activate has recognized to be an effective way of keeping up your devices and your data safe from getting infected by any hackers and virus attackers. For more details visit mcafee 25 digit activation code today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Download Mcafee antivirus in your PC to dispose of all the hazardous viruses.for more detail visit: mcafee.com/activate today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Webroot is very well known for its immense security from the spyware, viruses. In order to protect your system from the spyware or any other viruses,visit: webroot.com/safe today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go to Roku page record roku.com/link association code appeared on Roku TV. My Roku com associate not working use new Roku code.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Through Webroot Secure Anywhere, You can protect your computer, pc, and other devices from malware, virus, spyware, etc. With webroot.com/safe , you can download, install webroot with key code. After it, you have to follow the process of webroot key code activation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Webroot is very well known for its immense security from the spyware, viruses. In order to protect your system from the spyware or any other viruses,visit: webroot.com/safe today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To activate office setup you need to visit office.com/setup where you can find what all you can do on office setup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stream hundreds of hit movies, TV shows and more on the go with The hulu, use it as a second remote, enjoy private listening, and more. download hulu.com/activate now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. start to McAfee Activate and complete establishment and initiation from mcafee activate on the web. to secure your pc with malware and antivirus visit mcafee.com/activate today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Norton Setup is easy to install and activate than that of any other internet security. norton.com/setup will here provide you easy and quick understanding about Norton.

    norton.com/enroll

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your membership starts when you enter the 25-character key found on your item card or request affirmation email norton.com/setup
    Pay a Visit@:- www.norton.com/setup | hulu.com/activate | www.hulu.com/activate | norton.com/setup
    The Norton licence key is a Alpha numeric-letters in order code accompany Norton’s membership. Go to the rear of membership card and locate your 25 digits code. Utilization of Norton item key at norton.com/setup to confirm your membership.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Roku activation code is an alpha numeric code which helps users to enable their roku device or tv. If the activation phase has been

    completed, computer would require them to display their fav stuff online at one place.

    https://linkrokus.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. The 1st basket ball of Kobe by rant who his expressing his feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read the article " Hobby Box Break: 2008-09 Topps Basketball". i really like it. basket ball is my favorite sport.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hulu provides the simplest way to stream entertainment to your TV. On your terms. With thousands of available channels to choose from. visit hulu.com/activate enter code now. By downloading the Hulu Plus application and activating your account, you can stream television shows and movies from the Hulu site. visit hulu.com/activate now.
    https://activatehulu.com/
    Hulu.com/Activate

    ReplyDelete