Monday, June 8, 2020

7 Day Trading Card Challenge: Day Three

Today's Challenge: Favorite football card in your collection.

My pace is certainly going a bit slower on this challenge than I anticipated at the start. I've had lots of other fun things to write about and I don't want to rush and put junk into the blogosphere.

Today's challenge was tough for me, initially because my football collection is pretty small. When I began pulling some favorite cards I realized that picking one was going to be tough. I was finally able to nail down a favorite, but this post also features a couple of runner-ups. My blog, my rules!



Peyton Manning - 1998 Topps Stadium Club Rookie

And here she is - my favorite football card my collection. The selection has little to do with the player, and everything to do with what the card means to me. The emotional significance, if you will. I began collecting cards in the 90's with my dad. I'm not sure why he got back into collecting - probably the same reason as so many others in the 90's. I think it was also a great way for him to connect with me and share a hobby. He stopped collecting shortly thereafter but that time together built the foundation for the collector that I am today. 

My grandmother was a legendary gift-giver. She took great pride in her ability to find meaningful gifts. We all know someone who claims to not want/need a gift for their birthday or for the holidays - and we all know people that just ask for cash. Grandma quickly rejected both of those notions. "Everyone gets a gift on their birthday, period."

She heard that I was really into cards and she bought me some complete sets as a gift one year. I was just a kid, and I did what kids do. I tore into the set, organized the cards a million different ways, traded them with my friends, and so forth. I don't specifically remember her giving me the 1998 Stadium Club set, but I don't think she gave me any loose packs, so I'm pretty certain I pulled the Peyton Manning Rookie out of there. Even when he was a rookie people knew the level of greatness we were witnessing, me included. This card was my prized possession. I put it in different cases and displayed it in different ways. I think at one point I even put it in TWO penny sleeves. Considering how much I handled the card, it's actually in pretty decent shape. It has wear, but nothing like many of my other childhood cards. My dad must have stressed the importance of condition and value at some point. 

My grandma passed several years ago, but I'll always remember her when I see this card. 


Benny Snell Jr. - 2019 Panini Flawless Collegiate Patch/Auto

Runner-up #1 is this superb Benny Snell patch/auto that I acquired last year. I HAD to pick a favorite NFL player, Benny's my guy. My love for this card is well documented. 


Ryan Shazier - 2014 Bowman Chrome Blue Refractors #/199

Runner-up #2 is special to me because I pulled it straight from a retail pack. It's a rare occasion when you pull a "hit" for your PC out of a pack, let alone a retail pack. I snagged some Bowman football retail backs in 2014, and I was lucky enough to pull this. I was really excited about Shazier when the Steelers drafted him. It took a few years for him to get going but he was developing into a perennial Pro Bowler. We all know the tragedy that stuck a few years later. He's still one of my favorite Steelers all-time.

Thanks for stopping by. Maybe I'll finish this challenge before 2021. 

4 comments:

  1. Awesome cards! I was surprised to see a non-Steeler as your choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cards! Peyton Manning is the reason I root for the Colts and the reason I even got into football in the first place. My dad is a big-time Cowboys fan, so he was disappointed when I started to cheer for the Colts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome story behind that Manning RC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the kind of story that should be attached to a favorite card! :)

    ReplyDelete