Saturday, April 11, 2020

Mailday! ...And I Finally Joined TCDB

One of my oldest trade partners, Gavin at Baseball Card Breakdown came through with a sweet PWE this week. I dug way back in the blog archives and discovered that Gavin and I first traded in November of 2013. Almost seven years of trading sports cards - that's a hell of a run and I'm pretty grateful for that.

I sent Gavin a stack of random stuff - a handful of players on his PC and an extra Joe Musgrove autograph that I had. There were even some basketball cards thrown in. In return, Gavin sent me back some great Buccos cards.



(L) Jordy Mercer - 2018 Topps Big League Gold Parallel
(M) Ralph Kiner - 2001 Fleer Greats of the Game
(R) Ralph Kiner - 2004 Topps All-Time Fan Favorites

I've never purchased any Topps Big League packs, but many of these cards have made their way to me through trade. I'm cool with that. The first card I pulled out of the PWE was the Jordy Mercer BL card. Even better, a gold parallel, which of course looks awesome on Pirates cards. This marks my third Jordy Mercer gold parallel.


(L) Jameson Taillon - 2016 Bowman's Best Blue Rookie Refractor #/250 RC
(R) Tyler Glasnow - 2013 Bowman Platinum Prospects Green Refractor #/399

Bowman's best is another product I haven't purchased any boxes or packs of, but have acquired a lot of cards individually. The cards are clean and they've had some great checklists for Pirates. This Taillon rookie is really nice. My favorite part of the card is the gold "P" logo in the background. The Glasnow prospect card is a great addition as well. I don't look for it any more, but I opened a ton of Bowman Platinum back in the day. 


The big prize of the PWE comes in the form of my first Cole Tucker autograph. The Pirates first round draft pick in 2014 is (or was?) likely to be their starting shortstop this year. His autographs have been a little too pricey for me. At only 23 years old, I suppose he's still considered a high-ceiling prospect. I was really excited to get my hands on this trough trade. Big thanks, Gavin!


(Clockwise)
James Conner - 2016 Donruss Rated Rookie
Austin Meadows - 2018 Topps Update
Tyler Glasnow - 2017 Topps
PNC Park - 2019 Topps

In other news, I finally joined the TCDB a few weeks ago. Not only did I join, but I'm proud to say that I have finished cataloguing my entire collection of 4,730 cards. Compared to most collectors on the site, I realize that less than 5,000 cards is an incredibly small number. I live in an apartment. I also move a lot for my job, and frankly I just hate having a ton of cards eating up storage space.

The bigger story here is that I catalogued every last one of those cards one-by-one, card by card. Boy did it take a while. That's the real reason I think it took me so long to sign up - I found the prospect of manually uploading thousands of sports cards to be a bit daunting. Furthermore, I organize my cards by team - not by set - so it really made things interesting. Eventually I figured out a system and was able to get several hundred cards uploaded each time I sat down. 

This was all possible because of quarantine. Without the extra time, I don't know if I would have undertaken the project. Cataloguing cards has become a fun and productive use of my time to fill the random gaps during the day - between work calls and such. 

I received my first trade proposal last week. A collector from Florida requested four cards that I had, and he asked me to check out his trade list. I found the four cards above and the deal was quickly accepted. The PWE was in my mailbox just a few days later. I'm really excited to continue on, hopefully turning lots of random base cards into Pirates cards that I want. That's the whole idea, right? 

8 comments:

  1. Also being a team collector, I've had reservations about joining TCDB to catalog my cards, but if you have some shortcuts to share I'd certainly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d be more than happy to give you some tips - shoot me an email with some specific questions!

      Delete
  2. I came across your profile on TCDB the other day. Apparently, you have some 2020 Opening Day cards I need. I'll start looking through your Pirates to see if I have any you don't...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trevor, I’d be happy to send you whatever cards you need regardless of what Pirates you have. Shoot me an email!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on cataloging your entire collection! I'd be happy to connect with you on TCDB; what's your user name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. My username is “BucsHere” - add away!

      Delete
  4. I like using TCDB to document my collection and I really like it when other people's collections are up there, too. I just haven't used the site to set up trades before. The amount of time it would take to add everything that I own and don't want just seems intimidating to me.

    ReplyDelete